5 Reasons You Should Be Thrift Shopping: + tips & tricks
Have you ever complimented someone on their outfit, and asked them where they got it, only to be met with “I got it at the thrift!”?
Yeah, I have too. In fact, I’m usually the one saying that. I often get asked where I shop, and when I respond with “the thrift”, I hear comments like “oohhhh ok. I can never shop at the thrift. Too crazy.” Or, “I can never find anything good there!” But I can understand, it’s taken me years to get to a place where I can confidently go into the thrift and walk out with an outfit...or two or three or four. With the years of experience, I have built an arsenal of helpful tips that I now live and shop by when it comes to thrifting. But before I get into those tips, let’s talk about the benefits of shopping at thrift stores:
- You are making a positive change in the environment. Fast fashion is leaving a huge carbon footprint. We all try to recycle and reuse our bottles and cans, right? Why wouldn’t you do the same with clothing!
- Higher quality clothing for less. Half the reason I shop at the thrift, is because I know I can find quality there. I own linen pants, beautiful cashmere sweaters, stunning silk blouses....the list goes on. It’s lasting quality at a price you won’t be able to find at H&M or Old Navy.
- Your wallet will thank you! Let’s put this into perspective: the average price of a basic cotton blend t-shirt is $12. When thrifting, you can buy between 3-5 basic T’s for the same price. With the money you’d save, you can pay for all those Venti Carmel macchiato’s or that Gucci belt you’ve wanted.
- Speaking of Gucci. It is not unusual to find high end, name brand items at a thrift, in fantastic condition. Many items still have the tags on them.
- Money spent at the thrift often goes back into your community, either helping keep small businesses running, or giving support and care to the less fortunate. So really, you can shop and do good for others at the same time. Win win.
Ok, so now that we’ve discussed many of the reasons you should be thrifting, let’s get into some tips and tricks I LIVE by.
- Size doesn’t matter. If you see something you like, but it doesn’t say your size; STILL TRY IT ON. Brands do not go by a general sizing rule. Every size from every brand is totally different(that’s why you’ve got six pairs of jeans all in different sizes).
- Look for quality. I try to avoid brands that I know make cheap clothing. You want items that won’t fall apart on you-so look at who they are made by(I typically avoid, Target, H&M, Forever 21, Old Navy, etc...). Also make sure the materials are high quality. Silk, cotton, linen, cashmere, wool and leather. High quality materials typically are a sign on well made clothing, so look for these types of items.
- Check for holes, or any major damages. Believe it or not, this is something you should do no matter where you shop.
- If you are overwhelmed by the idea of digging through huge thrift stores, there are small boutique thrifts and consignment shops that are very well organized and manageable. One of my top Go-To’s is Crossroads Trading. They have many stores across the US!
- And finally...go in with an open heart and mind...you never know what you might find (rhyme not intended)!